About Me

My photo
My diary of truths I'm learning

Sunday, April 4, 2010

Take Up His Cross Daily

Until recently the verse of scripture found in Luke 9:23 did not make a lot of sense to me.

"If anyone would come after me he must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me."





The concept of denying yourself was complicated enough, but the real visual for me was in thinking of taking up a cross daily.



As I write this it is Easter Sunday 2010. The visualization of taking up a cross is particularly poignant at this time of year. Am I ready to suffer and die an agonizing death for the benefit of mankind? I confess, I am not. Would I be willing to bear the cross, to assist a severely beaten Christ as he struggled to carry it to Golgotha, as Simon the Cyrene was forced to do? Key word there, forced; but I suppose I would have done that. But every day? Do I want to think of struggling under the burden of carrying a heavy cross? Not particularly.


However, this verse took on a new meaning when I began a course of study offered at my church. Master Life, a course of study for discipleship, written by Avery T. Willis, Jr and Kay Moore and published by Lifeway Press; Nashville, TN.


This course presented the cross based upon relationships. The vertical portion of the cross represented our relationship with God, while the horizontal portion represents our relationships with others. Where the cross joins together defines our center. Are we self-centered or are we Christ centered.


In thinking about "taking up your cross daily" in this context I concluded that even I could do this. What about you?


If anyone reads this I invite you to join me in discussion of how can we best take up our cross daily and follow Him. Join me!

No comments:

Post a Comment