About Me

My photo
My diary of truths I'm learning

Sunday, April 25, 2010

What love is and what it is not

A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you so you must love one another. By this all men will know you are my disciples, if you love one another. John 13:34-35

I was reading, this morning I Corinthians 12:31-13:13. The particular passage my attention was drawn to were in chapter 13 verses 4-7, in the New Century version. This provides a list of what love is...and what it isn't.

What Love is

  • Patient
  • Kind
  • Rejoices over truth
  • Patiently accepts all things
  • Always trusts
  • Always hopes
  • Always endures
  • Never ends


What Love isn't

  • Jealous
  • Does not brag
  • Proud
  • Rude
  • Selfish
  • Does not get upset with others
  • Does not count up wrongs that have been done
  • Takes no pleasure in evil
We talk about the full Armour of God. Sounds exciting and majestic. However, you have to put on the Breastplate of Righteousness.

  • Search my heart for my sinfulness. My improper thoughts and actions.
  • Confess my sins.
I don't know about you, but I don't always enjoy having to confront my sinfulness. But thank God, the Breastplate of Righteousness assures me that if I confess my sin he will forgive me of my sin and cleanse me from my unrighteousness.

Lord, help me to live a life that demonstrates what love is. Help me to flee from what love is not.

It is God who works in you to will and act according to His good purpose. Phil 2:13

No comments:

Post a Comment